Eco & Ethics
At Boody we're passionate about our environment and the people who live in it. That’s why we feel our customers deserve to know where their clothes come from, how they’re made, and who is making them. Boody is committed to producing high-quality products and we focus on sustainable materials and practices so that we have a minimum footprint on our planet and a positive impact on its people. We feel it’s important to substantiate our eco stance with as much disclosure as possible. Here’s a detailed list of our accredited certifications and what they mean:
Ecocert is an inspection and certification body accredited under the International Standard ISO Guide 65 (EN 45011). Founded in 1991 in France by agricultural engineers aware of the need to develop agricultural practices that respects the environment, Ecocert has become the leader in Organic Certification globally.
At each step, Ecocert provides a guarantee of traceability and transparency that meets the expectations of consumers and users. Certification is subject to supervision and requires site visits.
We are proud that the raw bamboo we use for Boody is certified as organically grown by Ecocert.
As part of the design process of all of our collections, SGS performs a thorough range of independent tests on garment samples to ensure fabric content and quality are in-line with the content on our labels, as well as regulatory standards. This ensures that our fabrics meet health and safety standards in each country in which we sell Boody.
Boody Basic SGS tests:
- Bursting strength
- Pilling resistance
- Fabric weight per unit area
- Free formaldehyde content
- Azo dyes
- Extractable heavy metals
Boody Baby SGS additional tests:
- All of the above, in addition to…
- Chemical ‘scratch’ fabric testing (46 chemicals and elements tested)
- Metal fasteners testing (Nickel release plus fastening strength)
- Flammability testing (supplemented by secondary “Intertek” report no. SHAT03580170)
- Lead testing
- Phthalates testing
- Sharp points, edges and small parts testing
- Tension testing (to ensure components shall not detach under force of 10lbf held for duration of 10 seconds)
- Actual measurement vs ‘tight-fitting garment’ sleepwear requirements testing
All Boody Packaging SGS tests:
- Toxics in packaging
- Recycled paper used in packaging
- Vegetable inks used in packaging
ISO 14001 & ISO 9001
ISO is an independent, non-governmental international organisation with a membership of 163 national standards bodies, developing International Standards that provide solutions to global challenges.
ISO 14001 specifies the requirements for an environmental management system that organisations use to reduce their negative environmental impact and contribute to the environmental “pillar of sustainability”.
The intended outcome of ISO 14001 are to:
- Enhance environmental performance
- Fulfilment of compliance obligations
- Achieve environmental objectives
Boody’s certification affirms that the production in our factories complies with ISO 14001 Regulations.
ISO 9001 specifies requirements for a quality management system to ensure that products meet statutory regulations and requirements, as well as consistency for the customer. In this way it aims to enhance customer satisfaction.
All the requirements of ISO 9001 are generic and are intended to be applicable to any organisation, regardless of its type or size, or the products it provides.
Boody’s certification affirms the quality assurance and consistency of all our garments.
WRAP (Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production)
WRAP’s mission is to ensure sewn products are being produced under lawful, humane and ethical conditions.
WRAP is the world’s largest independent, factory-based social compliance certification program for the sewn products sector. There are currently 2,286 WRAP factories worldwide employing 2,065,900 people (as at Jan 2017).
There are 12 WRAP principles which govern factory certification, based on generally accepted international workplace standards, local laws and workplace regulations. Principles encompass human resource management, health and safety, environmental practices and legal compliance.
- Compliance with Laws and Workplace Regulations
- Prohibition of Forced Labor
- Prohibition of Child Labor
- Prohibition of Harassment or Abuse
- Compensation and Benefits
- Hours of Work
- Prohibition of Discrimination
- Health and Safety
- Freedom of Association and Collective Bargaining
- Customs Compliance
Boody factories meet compliance to WRAP’s GOLD standards.